Frequently Asked Questions Topic 1
 Frequently Asked Questions   2017-01-05 17:18:47 -05:00   Comments: 3    Viewed: 2459

1. Welcome to the Ultimate Banjo Forum!

It's Ross Nickerson, BanjoTeacher.com creator, your Online Banjo Teacher, experienced banjo professional and all around Customer Service Person.

This Topic is for asking questions or for advice about Orders, Banjos, Banjo Instruction Books, DVDs and the Banjo Accessories we carry.

Because I'm the "boss" so to speak or could be identified as being the "talent" behind the site, customers and students often think I'm too busy to answer questions. But that is not the case! Basically my day job is helping my customers and students. I have an assistant who is amazing, she handles all my shipping of items other than banjos, keeps my books and keeps me on task. I have a banjo set up expert for our banjo sales and a very talented website developer that designed this amazing website.... so... I dont have to do everything.. Which my job is customer service and sales which I enjoy. No one knows more about the Banjos and Accesssories I hand pick for the site or about the the Books, DVDs and CDs I've written and recorded. So call me up! Or please ask a question on the forum.

Create Account

, 2017-01-05 17:18:47 -05:00
  2. John Carr
    John Carr Member

Ross:
    As a first time banjo player, I'm really enjoying my Gold Tone CC-100 banjo and beginners kit. While I think I can pick up quite a bit just from your lessons and on-line resources, my sense is that taking "live" lessons might be my best path to becoming at least somewhat proficient.   So, my question is, what should I be looking for in an instructor. What qualities do think a good instructor should have?
    Thanks.

John Carr, 2017-01-11 19:53:34 -05:00
  3. Ross Nickerson
    Ross Nickerson Member Staff Member St Petersburg, FL

The first quality a banjoteacher needs on a personal level is a genuine desire to help "YOU" accomplish your goal of the joy and feel of playing the banjo. The lesson is not about him, it's about you. A good teacher should have the ability to be flexible in his unique "personal" approach for each student while staying true to all the techniques and approaches at his disposal. More specifically, the ability to approaching teaching the techniques in a way that fit each individual student best. This is for instance could be based on, is the student a visual learner? student's natural ability and background, taking the time to discoveri their strengths and weaknesses in the students approach to learning and practice. These are all things that are not likley discussed but a good teacher takes in things like this and does not have a "one size fits all" approach. I would also avoid teachers that show off, unless their reason is qued by feeling they could inspire you to give you more incentive to practice.

As far as the qualifications,if you are learning 3 finger bluegrass scruggs style banjo be sure your teacher knows correct techniques. On a local level it's easy to find yourself taking banjo lessons from the guitar teacher that can pick a little banjo but when he plays it, he plays the banjo like Chet Atkins not Earl Scruggs. That would not serve you well at all. As long as a "primarily" guitar teacher is commited to teaching three finger style 5-string banjo technique properly that can be totally ok especially if he is gifted at teaching.

I encourage some of my intermediate students that are not professional to not be afraid to take on students or even be paid to give lessons as long as they follow good books or have learned correct techniques. This willl help them as well as the student. By explaining how todo something it helps them fully understand it as well. An intermeidate banjo player voluntarily reaching out to a new student has all the desire in the right place and the lessons become fun as you learn together. An inexperienced teacher only needs a committment to proper technique and not feel a need to prove he's really good and knows everything if he doesn't. Humility in teachers creates a better environment for the student.

I have some new group classes online starting up in April. I hope you will sign up. Here is a link to the page with more information.

Live Banjo Lessons Online

Thanks, Ross

Ross Nickerson, 2017-01-12 10:43:55 -05:00
    Kristena WEAVER likes this.
  4. (You must log in or sign up to post here)

Write your reason

Tems & Conditions!
Help!

Recently Viewed

No products

QR code

Menu